Effective Date of this Privacy Notice: April 1, 2020.
Our Commitment to Privacy
The ConnectU Program Software, including its applications (“CUSA and CU-SMART”) is a web-based student development program for students ages 12 to 18. It is also a resource tool for school and student development programs. Through the use of customized assessments, the CUSA empowers principals and teachers to learn about their students’ strengths and areas for development and growth.
The ConnectU Program uses its CU-SMART Goal Setting Program, to provide teachers with development plans and curriculum, for their students to learn about goal-setting and action item creation.
To assist the students in creating and reaching his/her goals and to ensure the goals are ethical and on point, an accountability partner (Goal Buddy) is appointed.
Said principles listed below apply to the collection, use and transmission of personal information that users of The ConnectU Program software and applications may provide us during access or use.
- Accountability: we are accountable for the personal information we collect, use, retain and disclose in the course of our commercial activities, including, but not limited to, the appointment of a Chief Privacy Officer;
- Identifying Purposes: we are to explain the purposes for which the information is being used at the time of collection and can only be used for those purposes;
- Consent: we must obtain the user’s express or implied consent when we collect, use, or disclose the user’s personal information;
- Limiting Collection: the collection of personal information must be limited to only the amount and type that is reasonably necessary for the identified purpose;
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: personal information must be used for only the identified purposes, and must not be disclosed to third parties unless the user consents to the use or disclosure;
- Accuracy: we are required to keep personal information in active files accurate and up-to-date;
- Safeguards: we are to use physical, organizational, and technological safeguards to protect personal information from unauthorized access or disclosure;
- Openness: we must inform users and train our employees about our privacy policies and procedures;
- Individual access: a user has the right to access personal information held by us and to challenge its accuracy, if need be; and
- Provide recourse: we are to inform users and employees on how to bring a request for access, or complaint, to our Chief Privacy Officer and respond promptly to a request or complaint by the individual;
The ConnectU Program recognizes and respects the privacy rights of users with regards to their personal data. This Privacy Notice explains how the personal data of those having access to The ConnectU Program and all its applications will be stored, and used. We will collect personal information of students, parents, faculty, staff and the accountability partner/goal buddy as is required for the use of The ConnectU Program software and applications, including the results derived from the Student assessments (CUSA), and the Student, Goal Buddy, and Teacher goals/action items (the “Data”). The ConnectU Program will only use, distribute and share the Data as agreed unless obliged to do so by applicable law, regulation or legal process. This Data is stored on a secure AWS server located in Central Canada with field level encryption. We will use physical, organizational and technological measures to safeguard the Data.
The Consent of the parent/legal guardian of participating students, students age 14 and older, principals, teachers and accountability partners (Goal Buddy) will be obtained before or at the time of collecting the Data. The purposes of collection, use or disclosure of the Data will be provided at the time of seeking his/her consent.
Except as specifically permitted under the Act, the Data will be used solely for those purposes to which the users have consented.
Except as specifically permitted by the Act, the Data will only be disclosed with knowledge and consent.
We are committed to making reasonable efforts, in accordance with market best practice, to ensure the security, confidentiality and integrity of the Data and to prevent unauthorized use of any such Data.
Although we take steps to safeguard the Data, we cannot be responsible for acts of those who gain unauthorized access or abuse the software and we make no warranty, express, implied or otherwise, that we will prevent such access. If a password is used to help protect your account and Data, it will be your responsibility to keep the password confidential;
We value the trust you have placed in us and are committed to ensuring your information remains confidential and secure. If you have any questions concerning The ConnectU Program’s privacy practices and/or wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your Data, please contact us via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A user who wishes to review or verify what Data is being held by us, or to whom the Data has been disclosed, the user may make the request for access, in writing to the Chief Privacy Officer, who will respond within 60 days.
If a user has a concern about our data handling practices, a complaint, in writing, may be made to our Chief Privacy Officer. Upon verification of the user’s identity, he/she will act promptly to investigate the complaint and provide a written report of the findings to the user.
If the individual is dissatisfied with the finding and corresponding action taken by the Chief Privacy Officer, the individual may submit an application to the Commission d’accès à information.
Questions? Contact us here
If you have any questions about this Policy, your Personal Information, or any other privacy matter, please contact our Privacy Officer at info@connectuprogram